Most of twitter users don’t have enabled GPS location in their tweets so Followthehashtag identifies users location/origin looking at their bios. This is, most of the times, enough to make a good approach of tweets geographical origin. But sometimes we need a higher precision.
Getting only GPS located tweets
By default followthehashtag will get all tweets and determine users location.
- If the tweet has embed GPS coordinates, Followthehashtag will use them.
- If the tweet has not embed GPS coordinates, Followthehashtag reads the location of the bio and assign it as twit geographic origin (even if user is not in this place in the moment of twit emission)
- If the tweet has not embed GPS coordinates or location in the bio it will not be geolocated.
But there is a way to ask only for GPS geolocated tweets. Doing this, Followthehashtag will only show tweets with embed GPS location and will not look into the bio. To get only GPS geolocated tweets you must:
- Deploy advanced search menu.
- Enable “Only GPS geolocated tweets”.
- Perform search.
Sampling a delimited area
We know how to get only GPS geolocated tweets, now we must use Location, Track and Historical data to get enough tweets.
- Choose your desired location and radius with “near” option and clicking the + button. Help about getting tweets in a specific place this here
- Enable “Only GPS geolocated tweets”
- Click search button or press intro
- Once search is done you will see the first 1,500 tweets. Probably 1,500 tweets will not be enough for a god sample, so we must get more data
- Track this search to get more data in the next hours. Help about tracking twitter keywords here
- If you need to get past tweets as well, you must ask for historical data. For free we will give you up to 2,000 tweets or 30 days back. To get more data contact us. Help about getting historical data here
After this process, you must wait a while. The more you wait the more data you will get. Of course you can export to excel your dataset with export to excel feature