Business Intelligence in Wikipedia:
Business intelligence (BI) is the set of techniques and tools for the transformation of raw data into meaningful and useful information for business analysis purposes. BI technologies are capable of handling large amounts of unstructured data to help identify, develop and otherwise create new strategic business opportunities.
Followthehashtag is, by definition, a business intelligence tool focused on twitter data adquisition and process. It can be used, in many ways, to collect raw twitter data and transform it in valuable business intelligence data.
In this case we will show how to get valuable insights about your competitors twitter accounts (ok, maybe not only about your competitors :) like what is its content strategy, what´s the preferred time slot to tweet, top contents, etc.
To understand the power of FTH we will make an example with a twitter account, in this case we have chosen @Guardian London based newspaper.
Analyzing @Guardian account
The first thing we will do is to collect as many tweets emitted by @Guardian account as we can. To get tweets emitted only from @Guardian account we must use advanced search (help here) or directly type in search box.
No spaces, obviously you can replace “Guardian” for any user account without @. When you perform this operator Followthehashtag will get info directly emitted by your chosen account so, all charts and data will be related exclusively with the competitor´s account. (You can perform a to:Guardian search to know more about Guardian Audience)
Perform an historical search
If you perform an historical search (help here) you will get up to 4,000 additional tweets up to 60 days. It´s important for getting enough data to get a real time slot and best day of week charts.
Ok, we are ready to analyze all the raw data we have collected
Give me the intelligence
Once you have collected the data lets see what info we can use to understand better our competitors. We will show some examples of info you will be able to get, but you can use all the charts and stats to deeply analyze your competitors.
In the dashboard we will find some interesting info like
- Useful stats.
- Top tweets: Discover most relevant contents in a selected time range, maybe you will find some interesting tips to your own contents learning from your competitor.
- Repeats/Reach will show visually, hour by hour, the total tweets emitted.
In content (left sidebar) section we will get, for example
- Best hour and day of the week will show us what is the preferred tweeting time and day of the week for your competitor account. Professional managed accounts usually tweet when their tweets are more succesfull. In the @guardian sample we can see that they are probably being more read in the morning than in the evening or at night. We can see that they are probably less read during the weekends.
- Top hashtags and stock symbols.
- All the Pictures twitter from the competitors account.
- Top links.
- Word Cloud is useful to find common topics. In type of activity we can clearly see that @Guardian never reply its followers and the content emitted is based in original content and pics.
Serious business intelligence
Ok, it looks nice but I want to make my own data analysis to get real business intelligence and merge twitter data with other data sources.
No problem, with Followthehashtag you can export all the data to Excel files in one click, to make your own reports or data mashups. Just go to the section you want to export (content, influence or dashboard) and click on the green export button (help about exporting tweets to excel here).
Now you are ready to make better decisions based on real and objective information about your competitors